Am I Capable? Hmm...*Food For Thought*

Yeah, I know I’ve been away from this blog thing for a little while…but that’s what happens when you procrastinate and decide to do term papers at the absolute last minute…gotta love grad school! I’ve had some time to sit and think about what I wanted my next topic to be, and in the same vein as most of my life, I decided to focus on relationships. (Is anyone surprised?)

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been having this recurring thought. I was having a conversation with some of my co-workers a couple days back, and we all came to the conclusion that this is the point in life where a lot of people our age are starting to get engaged, married, or have children. When you really sit back and think about it, all three of those things are major life events. All of them signify major changes in a person’s life, and all of them signify joining with another human being to create a life. Whether it be through marriage or through the birth of a child, whatever action is taken to get to that event leads you to be joined to that person for the rest of your life. That person will always be your fiancé (or ex fiancé), husband/wife (or ex husband or wife), or the parent of your child.

As if ya’ll didn’t already know that.

I say all that to pose a question to myself. Am I really capable of being somebody’s wife/mother? Like really, when you sit back and think of what the concepts of marriage and parenthood are, and what it really takes to be good at one or both…can I really do that? I would like to think that I’m capable. I know right now, I’m not. There are some things that I have to work on before I walk down anybody’s aisle or lay up in a hospital and have anybody’s baby. I know there are things about myself that I must work on, and there are things I have to make better about myself before I can join my whole person with someone else’s whole person.

It just boggles my mind to really wrap my mind around the concept of being with one person for the rest of my life. Not to say that I am against that, because anyone that knows me, knows I’m not against that. In fact, it’s one of the things that’s going on my vision board (don’t judge me). I just wonder if I’m capable of being what they need me to be when they need me to be it…

If you subscribe to the faith that God puts people in your life that meet you where you are, and that the person you ultimately end up with is the one that God had meant for you, then this all works out how it’s supposed to in the end. I subscribe to that faith, I just wonder what I need to do in order to ensure that my future is prosperous, blessed, and all that. Just thinking about the concept of marriage and about parenthood boggles my mind…I guess it’s one of those things you kinda just figure out as you go along…*shrug*

Until next time, folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment